We believe that your child’s experience at Smiles will be unique and enjoyable.
We expect your child to have some basic knowledge of music in terms of notation and form. The Summer event special focus is composition with piano, production, voice and percussion. The overall aim is to develop an ear or feel for creating their own music.
We believe that there is body of evidence to support that music can benefit your child in the following ways:
1. Early musical training helps develop brain areas involved in language and reasoning. It is thought that brain development continues for many years after birth.
2. There is a causal link between the ability to perceive the world accurately and to form mental pictures of things. This kind of intelligence, by which one can visualise various elements that should go together, is critical to the sort of thinking necessary for everything from solving advanced mathematics problems to being able to pack a bookbag with everything that will be needed for the day.
3. Students of the arts learn to think creatively and to solve problems by imagining various solutions, rejecting outdated rules and assumptions. Questions about the arts do not have only one right answer.
4. Students of music learn craftsmanship as they study how details are put together painstakingly and what constitutes “good”, as opposed to mediocre work.
5. In music, a mistake is a mistake; the instrument is in tune or not, the notes are well played or not, the entrance is made or not. It is only by a lot of hard work that a successful performance is possible. Through music study, students learn the value of sustained effort to achieve excellence and the concrete rewards of hard work.
6. Music study enhances teamwork skills and discipline. In order for a musical band to sound good, all players must work together harmoniously towards a single goal- the performance, and must commit to learning music, attending rehearsals and practising.
7. Music performance teaches young people to conquer fear and to take risks.
There are more benefits; however my priority is the health,safety and security of your child. All staff members are vetted via enhanced CRB checks. Please see policies section.
Additionally Smiles is supported by teachers who have specialist training in safeguarding children.
The venue has been specifically chosen for its first class music facilities and security arrangements. A register will be completed daily.
Food will be will be provided by the Wycombe Abbey catering staff. Please state any special dietary requirements on the registration form. Registration form is required to be completed by guardian or parent after ticket payment is confirmed and issued.
Ian Miles - Founder, Smiles